With calving season in full swing for many of us and spring well and truly in bloom, we hope you are well and enjoying the lighter evenings.
A very warm welcome to all new club members. We do hope to see you at some of the social events this year. we have a jam-packed first newsletter of 2017, so without further ado...
We are delighted to announce that the first Scottish Beef Shorthorn Herds Competition is underway with 21 entries ranging from Orkney to the Borders!
- The competition will take place in September
- Thanks to George Sommerville, who has kindly agreed to be our judge.
- Further information will be circulated to members in due course.
The Beef Shorthorn Society has taken a stand at the Scottish Beef Association's "Scotland's Beef Event 2017"
- The event takes place on Thursday, 8th June at Fans Farm, Earlston Berwickshire, TDK 6BD. For more info on this event please see their Facebook page.
- We hope members will come along and support the club at this event.
- The stand will be manned by both members of The Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club and members of the council, so there will be plenty of people on hand for questions and a cup of tea/coffee.
The Royal Highland Show, Ingliston is fast approaching! We are pleased to announce that the Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club BBQ is taking place again in 2017
- The BBQ will take place on the evening of Saturday, 24th June, 2017. Tickets will initially be available to Scottish Club members only but will be offered to wider society members nearer the time. To reserve your tickets, please get in touch with Rosemary or Catriona.
- We hope to see many of you there!
We are pleased to inform you that by kind permission of Dumfries House, John and Denise have kindly agreed to host our 2017 Day Visit.
- This will take place on Sunday, 30th July and will be open to anyone who wishes to attend.
- Exact timings are to be confirmed but you are guaranteed it will be a great day out! Many thanks to Dumfries House and John and Denise for agreeing to host our visit.
This year we are heading north on the 4th weekend of September for our 2017 Weekend Away!
- We are staying in Tain on Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th September at the Royal Hotel.
- On Saturday, we will drive to Thurso after breakfast for 2 herd visits, coffee and lunch. These visits will be to Stuart Macadie, Skailhouse and Ian Campbell, Todholes. After lunch, we will visit John Scott's Luing cattle on his hill farm at Helmsdale. and then head back to the hotel for dinner etc.
- On Sunday 25th we will visit John Scott again, this time at Fearn where we will stay for a BBQ lunch before heading home at our leisure.
- The weekend away is for Scottish Beef Shorthorn members only. Many thanks in advance to all our hosts for agreeing to be part of the 2017 trip.
- More details will be circulated very soon.
The Summer Show Points Competition will go ahead as normal this year with the qualifying shows being Ayr, Fife, Stirling, Black Isle, Dumfries, Perth, Orkney and Grantown.
Stirling Golf Club will be the venue again for the evening event at the October Bull Sales. The nature of the evening is still to be confirmed.
Any readers who would like to become a member of the Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club, please get in touch with our secretary Rosemary (details below).
The Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club Office Bearers:
Bobby Landers (Chairperson) -- Mob : 07768 512891
Cathryn Williamson (Treasurer) -- Mob: 07816 322280
Rosemary & Catriona Dickie (Secretaries) Mob: 07887 737040