Hopefully I am going to give you something to look forward to and take your minds of the difficult past few months. If its not been snow and ice it’s been rain and cold!! Hopefully in spite of the elements calving has been reasonably straightforward and you can enjoy the longer days in the very near future.
A very warm welcome to all club members. We do hope to see you at some of the social events this year. Our members are very sociable!!!
After the success of the 1st Scottish Beef Shorthorn Herds Competition last year, we plan to hold another this year.
- Judging will take place at the end of August beginning of September
Classes will be as follows:
- Stock Bull
- Cow with calf at foot
- 2yr old heifer with or without calf at foot born in 2016
- Yearling heifer born in 2017
- Yearling bull born in 2017
- Heifer calf born in 2018
- Bull calf born in 2018
- £10 entry fee per herd
- £5 entry fee for any additional classes entered
- Only 1 animal per class can be entered
- Only Registered Pedigree Cattle in Scotland can be entered due to geographical limitations.
- There will be 3 sections ie. Small, Medium and Large Herds. These will be sorted out once official entries are completed to make the sections approximately the same size. [This is only applicable to the actual herd]
At this stage we wish you to commit to entering the competition and entries will close on Friday 15th June 2018. Thereafter official entry forms will be sent out.
The Royal Highland Show(21st-24th June)
Beef Shorthorn judging will be on Thursday 21st June with the Society BBQ held in the evening at the Shorthorn stand.
The Scottish Club BBQ will be held on the evening of Saturday 23rd June also in the Shorthorn stand. Tickets will initially be available to Scottish Club members only but will be offered to wider society members nearer the time.
2018 Day Visit – we are delighted to announce that Sir Michael and Lady Sally Nairn, Balnabroich and Major and Catriona Gibb, Glenisla have kindly agreed to host the day away 2018 .
- This will take place on Sunday 29th July
- Exact arrangements are still in the making but I’m sure it will be a great day out with some excellent cattle on view at both venues.
2018 Weekend Away – Friday 21st September – Sunday 23rd September. This year we are heading just south of the border to visit 4 herds and staying at the Pooley Bridge Inn, Penrith.
Our exact schedule is finalized yet but we are very grateful to the following for agreeing to host our trip
- Charles Lowther - Lowther Shorthorns
- Caroline and Andrew Ivinson - Sandwick Shorthorns
- Jim Holden- Morrisons - Barwood Shorthorns
- Caroline and John Elliot - Farlam Shorthorns
The weekend away is for Scottish Shorthorn Club members only. Many thanks in advance to all our hosts for agreeing to be part of our 2018 trip.
Booking details for Pooley Bridge Inn, Penrith:
- The rooms are all booked off until the end of July after which the public will have access.
- 30% deposit is payable on booking but rooms can be altered or cancelled up to one week before you arrive.
- Single Occupancy £75, Double Occupancy £95 then £30pp for triple and quadruple occupancy. This is for Bed & Breakfast per night.
- As rooms are limited I suggest you book ASAP.
The Summer Shows Points Competition will go ahead as normal this year with the qualifying shows being Ayr, Stirling, Black Isle, Dumfries, Perth. Orkney, Grantown and the new addition of Turriff.
Please do your best to support these shows to keep the Shorthorn flag flying!!
Any reader who would like to become a member of the Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club or has any queries please get in touch with Rosemary[secretary]
The Scottish Beef Shorthorn Club Office Bearers
Bobby Landers (Chairperson) – mob : 0768512891
Matthew Thomson (Vice-chairperson) – mob :07900181635
Cathryn Williamson (Treasurer) – mob: 07816322280
Rosemary & Catriona Dickie (Secretaries) – mob: 07887737040