Policy regarding TH
The following updated TH policy was agreed by the Directors of the Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society at their meeting on 3 October 2007. The policy to be effective immediately.
1. All animals imported into Coates’s Herd Book (Beef) including animals from Coates’s Herd Book (Dairy) must be tested TH free.
2. Imported embryos will only be accepted for registration in Coates's Herd Book (Beef) if the sire and dam have been tested TH free.
3. Progeny from imported semen will only be accepted for registration in Coates's Herd Book (Beef) if the donor bull has been tested TH free.
4. All samples of blood sent for testing will require a result release form to be included giving permission for the results to be sent to the Shorthorn Society. All TH results will be published on the Shorthorn Society website.
5. Progeny of TH carriers, or progeny of animals deemed by the Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society to be "at risk" * must be TH tested in order to be accepted for registration in Coates's Herd book (Beef). From 1st March 2008, no TH carrier animals will be accepted for registration into Coates's Herd book (Beef).
6. Any TH carrier animal previously registered with the Society and transferred to a new owner will have the pedigree certificate stamped with the words "TH Carrier".
7. TH carrier animals or animals deemed by the Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society to be "at risk" * cannot be sold at Society sales.
8. All animals submitted for entry to the grading register as foundation animals must be tested TH free.
9. The Beef Shorthorn Cattle Society reserves the right to insist on a TH test, at the breeder's expense for any animal registered with the Society or submitted for registration.
* At risk animals are defined as animals whose pedigree contains an unbroken line to a known TH carrier.